Our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programme ensures we respond to communities in ways that matter to them the most. Our programme has two primary purposes:
Firstly, demonstrating our core best practice behaviours:
- Ensuring our commitment to providing responsible Financial Services
- Serving our customers with honesty and integrity
- Considering the contributions of our employees at all times and ensuring recognition of their part in our success
- Striving to optimise benefits for our Members
Secondly, this programme ensures our on-going commitment to our communities. These are enshrined in our roots as a Society, having been established in 1953 to help local people buy their own homes.
Our support isn’t only financial. We are proud of our involvement with local initiatives in many other ways. We’re honoured that our community contributions have also been recognised over the years with awards, including the ‘Best Local Building Society’ at the What Mortgage Awards.
We are also committed to:
- Being clear, open and honest in all our communications
- Maintaining local support by sourcing business services neighbouring our branches
- Managing our environmental impact
At Harpenden Building Society we aim to give the highest level of service to all our investing and borrowing members. In May 2000 the Society introduced a mandatory requirement for new investment customers. This will enable us to provide the level of service our members expect and deserve.
Any new savers opening share accounts, must sign a declaration agreeing to assign any future windfall rights to the Charities Aid Foundation. This occurs for five years from the date of opening the account.
The Charities Aid Foundation is a charity that channels charitable giving to worthy causes. In our Trust Deed with the Charities Aid Foundation, we have placed an emphasis on purposes that directly or indirectly support housing, children, local environment, education, health and hospices. As well as supporting the local community generally.